Thursday, May 30, 2013

Climbing

 There is, at some point, the moment you want nothing more to collapse and quit, But you don't. You climb, and climb and climb, and all the while you hate yourself while, with each foot you slowly roll past the sense of accomplishment grows stronger and stronger.

Sound familiar? Maybe. For me, there is nothing as rewarding or challenging as ascending a large climb.


 But what is it about climbing that keeps us coming back for more? Actually, I don't know. By all accounts, putting yourself through this type of agony doesn't make much sense, but still we do it, over and over again. Regardless, here are some suggestions to help improve your climbing experience to help it to be a bit more bearable, even enjoyable, and improving your speed on your favorite climb.

One thing I've noticed in my climbing is that switching my position on the bike, from hand position to sitting position, or moving to standing, helps a lot in keeping the monotony at bay as well as using different muscle groups to help relax others. Positioning on your bike, if you haven't found out yet, makes a huge difference in the power you are able to output and the strength you are able to preserve for that final climb to the top.

As far as handle bar positioning is concerned, you will want to keep your hands on the hoods, or on the front bars. this positioning of the hands will help your legs have a lesser extension, preserving energy as opposed to grabbing the drop bars, or taking a tri stance (if you have aero bars) which will help you with a final burst at the end, but for general climbing will cause your legs--that are extending more than normal to be over worked and tire more easily.

Take your time. This is harder than I think most realize. You want to get to the top, you don't want to be past, you want to show that hills are nothing to you. I know that is how I often feel, but speed comes with practice and training. If you go at the speed you feel comfortable with you will naturally become better and faster at climbing. It takes time.

Don't get discouraged. There are times when I've been frustrated with the climb due to my bike or my own riding. But I've never regretted it when I continued on and up. If you're feeling discouraged just get off the bike for a bit and rest or eat something to get your energy back. You'll feel better, and remember why you're climbing this hill. Because it is there and should be climbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment