Friday, May 24, 2013

Go By Bike

This month is Bike Month. A month dedicated to cycling advocacy. Through this month there have been many events pushing biking and encouraging this healthy lifestyle. For me, one who has been commuting with his bike for two years this is one of my favorite times of the year. Because, I get to see many people who would not normally bike dust off their old garage bike and really dedicate themselves to this way of life.

I say way of life because it truly is. Two years ago I caught the bug. I began biking to work with an old twelve year old and very badly beaten up Trek 1000 and haven't looked back since. There is an intense satisfaction of being able to tough it through the cold snow, rain, the blistering heat or any other condition. But before starting off, here are a few things that I feel can help you get out there and get going.

How to begin your commute
1. Tune up your bike -- This isn't always obvious, but it is important. Tune it up before you start. Having a well oiled machine encourages you to ride. When everything is working as it should you will have a better time, not having to worry about this creak, or that rubbing sound. Also, once you get a tune up it is easier to keep up with. Familiarize yourself with ways to easily maintain a smooth running bike. (We will go over this another time).

2. Decide on a route before heading to work -- First, time yourself. Over the weekend take your bike and ride at the pace you'd take going to work. This way you know how long to expect to get to work. Believe me, this will save you a lot of stress those first few days of commuting by bike. Also, pick a good route, look for bike paths that you can take or roads with less lights and less cars. When I first started out I simply went the way I had always driven. It wasn't for months that I discovered a much quicker route with a bike path more direct route that would only be feasible for a bike.

3. Stay comfortable -- How I commute greatly depends on where I am going. When I first started I had to bike nine miles away and then nine miles back. I finally decided on wearing a biking jersey and biker shorts for summer, (and winter gear for winter) and bringing a change of clothes. This actually worked out well. I could change out of the sweaty jersey at work and then back again to head home. But now, working much closer to home, or even when biking to school, I opt for just normal clothed--the only adjustment needed is rolling up my pant legs to avoid them getting caught in the crank set. The point is, be comfortable. It may take a few times to see what suits you best, but it does make a big difference.

4. Be prepared -- I carry the following items with me where ever I go: (1) two extra inner tubes, (2) Tire levers, (3) Pump, (4) Alan wrench set. While getting a flat tire is not optimal, (obviously), its not too bad if you can change it quickly and be on your way. That being said, (as this is probably the most common issue you'll experience) I would suggest changing the tubes for practice once or twice to make sure you can do it in a bind.

5. Secure -- Make sure you have a safe place to put your bike. Personally, I bring it inside. My work allows it and it is easy for me to just lean it at my desk and let it be. If your work doesn't allow this, or there's nowhere to place it, make sure you find a place to lock it up. Another suggestion: Buy a "U" lock. Lock togethe the pole (etc.) you'll be locking it to, your bike frame and the rear wheel. This, for me, is the best way to secure your bike.

Commuting is wonderful. I've enjoyed it, (even through the winters). It has so many benefits and really improves your quality of life. So this month, even though it is finishing up, embrace bike month and commuting by bike. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment