Thursday, October 3, 2013

Winter Biking

When I started commuting years ago I was dedicated and told myself that I would bike no matter what. Unfortunately, this takes a lot more dedication and money than I was anticipating. When winter hit full force I was unprepared. I would wear a hoodie and heavy coat, jeans and some long johns, with wool socks. Constantly my hands, face and feet were cold while the rest of me felt bulky. Because of this I drove more than I would have liked to. This is also applicable not only to commuting, but also cycling for sport/fun, etc. 

By next winter I learned better. Really, the winter, (at least here in Utah) varies a lot, and it can be a slow progression to cold, or a sudden one. I found the key, though, is to have multiple layers, all of which work on their own, or together. At the beginning of the winter, or in the fall all I would need is a few added things to my kit. Some leg warmers, or thermal tights that I could put under (or over) my cycling shorts, a warm undershirt, warm gloves, and a balaclava. The beanie I am seen wearing is really my balaclava. I think they are great because it can be worn like a beanie, being folded up over your head, and if it gets cold can be pulled down to cover your face. 



The amount of layers you wear really depends on what you are comfortable with, but one huge aspect of layering is getting the right stuff. When I first encountered winter I was bulky which was not only hard to bike it but caught ALL of the wind. My cycling effort was greatly increased just because I didn't know how to dress myself.
  

So, here is a list of what I would wear on the VERY cold days. These are days that got down to -9 degrees and I was still pretty warm, (but still pretty cold, which is pretty much inevitable). 

1. Base Layers -- This can include a t-shirt, or jersey or some type of undershirt. 
2. Arm warmers -- These were very important. Especially with the jacket I had, which I'll get to. 
3. Biking Tights -- These are great. They are thermal and warm and can be warn with biking shorts or under pants, if commuting, etc. 
4. Biking shorts or pants -- again, the more layers the better. Of course, if you wear baggy jeans you'll want to get a strap for them so they don't get caught on the crank, or roll them up a bit. 
5. Wool Socks -- seriously, these will keep your feet warm.
6. Over Shoes -- These are covers that go over your shoes and really help keep cold and wind out. 
7. Balaclava -- Again, this is great! You can wear it just to cover your ears, or pull it down to cover your face. 
8. A Thermal Jacket -- The jacket in the picture above reflects the heat I generate back on me. However, it will take about 5-10 minutes to really make a difference in the warmth. It also will cause you to sweat a lot if you don't have a layer under it, hence the arm warmers. 
9. Gloves -- I will wear cheap cotton cloves no matter what, but depending on how cold it is will either wear full finger gloves, (for chill weather) or lobster gloves (for freezing weather). 
10. Sunglasses -- Have you ever had your eyes freeze? I have and it sucks and burns for 30 minutes after. This prevents the cold wind from getting to them. 
11. Helmet -- no cold weather gear should ever compromise your safety. 

Some other tips: 1. Plan ahead. It's going to take you longer to get anywhere, especially if it is snowing. 2. Get good tires. 3. Be courteous to drivers and signal where you're going far in advance. 4. On cold snowy days listen to "Re: Stacks" by Bon Iver, you'll thank me.




 



No comments:

Post a Comment